Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 13 of 21 Day Challenge

Peter didn't want Jesus to wash his feet. That should be a task that is beneath the Messiah! He didn't want to think of Jesus stooping to such a humble position. When Jesus said "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."  in verse 8b, we can clearly see Peter's desire to follow Jesus by his response: "Then, Lord, not just my feet, but my hands and my head as well!" (verse 9). For someone who doesn't know the story of Peter, it wouldn't be surprising to hear Peter tell Jesus "I will lay down my life for you." in verse 37, but it would come as a complete shock to hear Jesus' response in verse 38, "Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!" I'm sure Jesus' response shocked Peter too. Peter loved Jesus. He didn't intend to fail Jesus, yet we know that he did.

Proverbs 22:6 says "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." As a mom, this verse gives me hope. I have made many parenting mistakes, yet I can have faith that my kids will turn out fine. I hope and pray they never stray from the Lord; but I know that they will have a firm foundation and I trust they would return to the Lord if they do stray. I know their parents would never stop praying for them until they did return. :) This verse also made me think of Peter. Peter wasn't a child when he first met Jesus, but he became a child of God. He was trained by Jesus. Peter failed Jesus and strayed from the Lord, but he didn't let his failure stop him. He asked Jesus for forgiveness, got back on the right path, and became a powerful witness to others. Many people became followers of Jesus because of Peter's preaching.

Don't let past failures prevent you from being all you can be for God! Jesus can use those failures in a real and powerful way!

No comments: