Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Day 16 of 21 Day Challenge

Proverbs 25: 13 says "Like the coolness of snow at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the spirit of his masters." When I read this verse, I thought of how I long to be that kind of person. Someone who refreshes the spirit of those you speak to. Someone who people want to be around because they know they will feel renewed after you leave. Lord, help me to be that kind of person!

John 16:20 says "I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy."  What a difference between the disciples and the world! When Jesus was crucified, most of the world was joyful. They thought they had won by killing Jesus. The disciples, on the other hand, wept and mourned the loss of their friend, teacher, and Savior. Jesus was letting them know though that their grief would turn to joy because He was going to rise again! When the world tries to discourage you, all you need to do is focus on the fact that no one who goes against God will win. We will be victorious when we are on God's side.

I also wanted to point out that in verse 23b, Jesus again tells the disciples "I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." He adds in verse 24, "Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." I love how Jesus kept repeating the fact to his disciples that they could go to God and ask Him for anything in Jesus' name. Back in their time, people talked to a priest who then talked to God for them. When Jesus died, that all changed. People could now go directly to God! What a wonderful privilege to be able to talk directly to the creator of the world! How exciting to know that we can ask Him to meet our needs, and He cares enough to do it! Keep that in mind today. As we celebrate Christmas, be thankful that God loved us so much that He sent His Son to earth. Jesus was willing to die so we could live. Praise the Lord!

No comments: