Friday, December 28, 2012

Day 19 of 21 Day Challenge

John 19:38-39 says "Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jews. With Pilate’s permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds." Both Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus were followers or disciples of Jesus, but they didn't let others know. They were "secret" disciples because they were afraid of what others would think and what the consequences might be for being a follower of Jesus. When Jesus died, they realized that Jesus really was the Son of God. It moved them to finally act. Are you not doing something God has asked you to do because you are afraid of what others will think or whether you will succeed or not? We need to be bold and not afraid. We need to do what we are called to do without being worried about what others will think. We will succeed if God calls us to do something because He is always there to help us.

Proverbs 28:1 says "The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion." I loved that this was the first verse I read after I had written what I did about Joseph and Nicodemus. God was obviously letting me know that I had definitely heard him correctly and He was reminding me to be bold and unafraid. When we run away from what we should be doing, Satan isn't going to pursue you because you are doing exactly what he wanted you to do! We need to stand firm and fight him! God is on our side and He has already given us the victory if we rely on His power and strength! I don't know what I'll be faced with this coming year, but I have the assurance that God will be with me. You can have that same assurance! You do not need to be afraid. Be bold and unafraid. Stand firm and fight the devil, and he will be the one who flees! 

No comments: