Sunday, January 6, 2013

Don't Give Up

Galatians 6:9 says "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." This verse initially made me think of my New Year's Resolution to lose weight. If I get tired of trying and give up, I won't be successful in losing the weight I want to. It's not easy to lose weight, but there are lots of rewards if I don't give up: more energy, longer life, feel better, and better self image to name a few. The biggest reward for me would be if I became an inspiration to someone else to lose weight. I know how easy it is to be overweight and think "I could never lose weight." I want to be able to inspire people by letting them know it is never too late to lose weight and it is NOT impossible. It may be a long, slow, difficult process, but it is NOT impossible. The Christian life can also be long and difficult, but oh the rewards that await us if we don't give up!

John 21:22 says "Jesus answered, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.'" I can almost hear Jesus emphasizing the word YOU must follow me when He said this to Peter. It can be easy to look at others and compare ourselves to how they look or what they have. Some people get upset when someone else's prayer gets answered, but they think their own prayer wasn't answered. We need to remember to keep our eyes on Jesus and not be looking at others. We need to not grow weary and give up because we are focused on other people or other things. We need to press on and earn those rewards for not giving up!


No comments: