Monday, January 7, 2013

The Bible: Read It and Learn

Ephesians 1:17 says "I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better." When I read this verse, I realized that is exactly why I've changed how I do devotions. Before I begin reading the Bible, I pray for God to open my eyes and see what He wants me to see. As I read, I read slowly so that I can pay attention to when God speaks to me through a verse. I then write my thoughts in my journal. I do all this because I want to know Him better! Every day, He reveals something to me in the chapter I read. It's exciting to feel Him speaking and revealing new insights to me! What an amazing thing for Paul to pray for for the Ephesians! It made me realize that I could pray for others to be able to experience the same thing I've experienced in my devotions! If you don't journal, I strongly encourage you to try it! It's not difficult. What I write here on my blog is very similar to what I write in my journal. I almost always start by writing down the verse that stuck out at me. I then just write my thoughts on it. I have no doubt that the thoughts I'm having are what God wants me to think about and He is then able to reveal new things to me about verses I've read many times before.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." The Bible gives us everything we need to succeed in our Christian walk. It teaches and trains us so we know what we need to do and how to do it. It rebukes when we are doing something we shouldn't be doing. It corrects us if we need to watch how or what we are doing. We can use the Bible to teach, rebuke, correct, and train others. If you don't know what the Bible says, then how can you tell others what they should be doing? How do you know you are doing what you should? Instead of getting frustrated because you think God isn't helping or answering you, look in the Bible for the answers! It's all in there. You just need to read the Bible and you'll find all the help you need.

No comments: