Saturday, January 5, 2013

Who Are You Living For?

Galatians 5:16 says "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." This verse immediately made me think of how I still struggle with controlling my temper. I know that what I say when I lose my temper is not pleasing to the Lord, yet it can be a daily struggle when I have to deal with a strong-willed teenager. It could be easy to read this verse and think "WHY am I still struggling with this when I love the Lord and want to live for Him?!"

As I read further, I read what the acts of the sinful nature are as well as what the fruits of the Spirit are. It's easy to look at the acts of the sinful nature in verses 19 - 21 and find some that you never struggled with. There may be ones you know could be easy to struggle with, but you really don't have a problem overcoming the desire. One example I see is envy. Some people really struggle with that, while others don't really have a problem at all with not being envious. I think everyone can find at least one thing though on that list that you have either struggled with in the past or are currently struggling with. The fruits of the Spirit are listed in verses 22 and 23. Again, there may be some on that list that are easy for us to display, while others we struggle with. Patience and self-control are the two that I have the most trouble with. I use to think I was a very patient person, but then I had kids. I found it to be very hard to be patient when my child was talking back to me, arguing with me, disobeying me, or lying to me. Instead of dealing with it immediately in a calm but effective manner, I tried to get her to stop doing whatever it was she was doing without disciplining her immediately. I have since learned that if I don't immediately deal with the problem and the discipline that is needed, I allow myself to get more and more upset and that in turn leads me to lose my temper. Self control is much easier to have when I quickly and calmly deal with the problem and not allow it to grow. If I allow my daughter to continue to argue and talk back, then I get angry and start yelling and the whole thing escalates. Why would she quit arguing and yelling at me if I'm doing the same thing to her?

It's not easy to change. It's not easy, but it is not impossible either. Confess the area to God that you are struggling with. Ask Him to point out to you what you need to do to change. Be willing to do what He tells you! If you mess up, ask for His forgiveness and begin again. Never give up trying! Too many people have the attitude "That's just the way I am." Some even say "That's the way God made me." Yes, God made you; but we are born into sin. We need to confess our sins to God, ask for His forgiveness, and then change our ways so they are in line with His ways. He is ready and willing to help you make those changes, but you have to be willing to change and strong enough to realize that Satan will try to get you to fail. You need to remind him of what his future is and that his future is NOT going to be your future! It's never too late to change.

No comments: